Here is the recipe for the wonderfully warm
vegetarian soup we had at the Summer Kitchen
last Thursday night. I served this up with some
sundried tomato & basil focaccia bread topped with
a spinach and basil pesto.
This meal was so low in calories and fat that we had to
finish it all off with a little dessert.......Happy Brownies!
1 TBSP olive oil +
1 lrg yellow onion chopped
1 32 oz container of vegetable broth
1 1/2 cup leftover boiled potatoes
or mashed potatoes
2 cups thinly sliced carrots
1 TBSP fresh Rosemary
1 tsp dried basil
1 TBSP fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried
4 cups fresh spinach leaves or swiss chard
1 can (15oz) cannellini beans, rinsed Serves 8
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slice off the top 1/3 of garlic & discard. Drizzle with a few drops of olive oil & wrap in foil & roast for 30 -40 minutes. Let cool. Squeeze roasted garlic from the papery skin into a small bowl and discard the skin.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Add onion & cook 5 minutes or until translucent. Add broth and one third or the garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Working in batches, puree potatoes and onion -broth mixture in blender until smooth. Return to pan.
4. Stir in carrots, rosemary, basil, parsley and remaining garlic and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add Spinach or chard, return to a simmer, and cook, stirring 5 minutes. Add beans and cook 5 minutes longer. Enjoy!
130 cal, 5 gr protein, 23 carbs, 3 gr fat, 0.5 gr sat. fat, 0 mg chol, 4 gr. fiber, 500 mg sodium